I have been thinking about this post for about 6 months now and finally feel up to reliving the experience enough to write about it.
I know women around the world go through miscarriages everyday and they are more common than I ever had imagined them to be. I always knew I wanted nothing more than to be a mom. Let's face it, I think I played with dolls until I was about 12. But I also knew deep down that I would struggle with getting pregnant when I was ready. I was right. We tried for about 3 years and I had already put my mind to needing an IUI or IVF in the future. Then much to my surprise, with the minimal help of some fertility treatments, we finally were living our dream on June 3rd, 2010.
I remember the morning like it was yesterday. I hadn't told Chris that I was going to test that morning. I woke up sure to rub my eyes and find yet another negative test, but this time, it showed two lines! I was immediately stoked, anxious and shocked all at once. I walked in and woke Chris up and made him get out of bed and check out the awesomeness I had just peed on. He gave me the biggest hug and rubbed my belly. We were both on cloud 9.
We texted our moms a picture of the positive test and waited for their response. I finished getting ready for work and continued to have the best day ever. I kept forgetting that I was really pregnant. In real life.
We went on and had 2 great beta results and scheduled a date for the first ultrasound. We were so excited. Two days before my appointment, I began to bleed quite a bit while I was on a field trip with 100 5th graders. I had to let a few other teachers know what was happening so that I could leave and go straight to my RE's office. I was stranded because we all came on a bus, so Chris drove about 3o minutes to come get me and take me to the RE office. I was sure it was over. I had stopped bleeding and wasn't feeling any pain, but I just was not feeling confident. I felt that it had all been too easy. (despite the 3 years of trying).
I remember wearing my sunglasses into the room (even though it is super dark in there anyway for ultrasound purposes). I hate to cry and I DESPISE crying in public. So the shades stayed on. At this point, I was prepared for the worst.
Much to my surprise, the doc found a fetal pole and a yolk sac but it was a bit early for a heartbeat. He searched for any reason behind the bleeding and found nothing. He told me to take it easy and increased my progesterone to twice daily. He sent me on my way with what he called my " first refrigerator picture". We scheduled an appointment for the following week and hoped for a perfect heartbeat.
A week and a day later, we went in for our second ultrasound. Everything was measuring right on and we were not only able to SEE the heartbeat but we got to HEAR it. It was beautiful. It was amazing and it was ours! Chris could not stop smiling and it was now really "real" for him at this point. I was so happy for him. He was going to be a daddy and he was so proud. We left that appointment feeling like we were in a fairytale.
Our next appointment was scheduled for 9 weeks and was about 2 weeks from that day. We couldn't wait to see and hear our baby's heartbeat again.
We were addicted after one shot.
To be continued...

1 comment:
Oh Cori...my heart hurts reading these words. I can only hope that this is your month.
Post a Comment