Sunday, March 6, 2011

5K Race for the Cure...

Today I participated in a 5K Race for breast cancer. It was amazing. 8,000 people walked or ran around Dodger Stadium to raise money for a cure. I ran some and walked some. My mom is a 1 year survivor and we decided to create a team in her honor. I have never taken part in an event like this but the the minute we parked the car, I knew this would become my first of many. The event, raised over 1 million dollars and our team alone, raised $1,700.

I didn't realize how emotional I would get. Before the race, women stood up and shared their battles and triumphs. We then shared a moment of silence for those who had lost their battle and I began to cry. I lost a very good friend 5 years ago to breast cancer. She was only 25 and had been fighting for her life for about 4 years. She was so strong, beautiful and a new mom. It was rough. So today, we raced for her as well.

Today I am again reminded of how lucky I have been in life to be able to live, love, walk, run, and this makes me smile.






I am going to sign up for a Lupus walk soon. My cousin has Lupus and this foundation could definitely use the help as many people are unaware of the seriousness of this disease.



1 comment:

Michelle said...

this is awesome! Good job! My niece had lupus and passed 6 years ago... many people don't know anything about the disease.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers